(Acworth Christian Church Congregation)
In 1858, Acworth had been established as a watering stop for the Western and Atlantic Railroad, but would not be incorporated until 1860.
That year, Nathan Smith, an established evangelist, founded the Acworth Christian Church, which originally was located on Mitchell Hill. Smith was one of the first schoolmasters in Acworth, and the first worshipful master of the Acworth Masonic Lodge.
The church thrived until the Civil War, when the building was dismantled and used as shanties for Union soldiers. The church re-established in 1875 at its current location on Northside Drive. Tragedy struck again in 1899, when a fire destroyed the church. Nathan Smith died that same year, so he never got to enjoy the rebuilt church, which opened its doors in 1901.
The church has been a fixture in Acworth ever since, and can be seen from Main Street and the downtown area. The church’s original brick exterior was covered by stucco in the 1980s.
To view more houses on the tour click HERE.
Proudly Sponsored by: