A. Sprayberry House (c. 1937)
(Mindy & Raoul Newman)
Built in 1937, this Neo-colonial 2 story house has a front portico that has Doric columns and a pediment. The windows are 6/6 double-hung sash.  The house was built by Mr. W. Paul Sprayberry who was elected Superintendent of Cobb County Schools in 1943, and served for 17 years.
Sprayberry was previously principal of Powder Springs and Acworth Schools.  Sprayberry High School is named after him, opening its doors in the fall of 1952 then moving to its present location in 1973. It was the only public high school in East Cobb for over a decade, when the area began its transformation from rural to suburban. 
While Serving as Superintendent, he was also the chairman of the building committee for Acworth Methodist Church, which oversaw the construction of the new Church on “The Hill of the Lord”. 
This home is Sponsored by Henry’s Louisiana Grill and will be featured on the Day Tour.
- City of Acworth Property Records
- Scott, p. 48.
- McClure, et al., p. 103.
B. Jesse L. Lemon House (c. 1880)
(Serendipity House~Darlene Knight)
Jesse L. Lemon was the son of banker Smith Lemon, who was born to James Lemon and his wife Mary. James was a War of 1812 veteran and state representative in DeKalb County. They moved to Cobb County in 1843, and then to Acworth in 1845. They purchased 800 acres and built the Lemon House. 
The Jesse L. Lemon House on Main Street was built in the 1880s by Jesse as a wedding gift for his bride, Elizabeth “Lizzie” McMillan, daughter of Robert Huie McMillan , and brother of Jim McMillan, with whom he went into the general merchandise business. 
Jesse owned a cotton warehouse and a mercantile store, and served in Acworth’s first government after the Civil War. The home’s fanciful spindle work and interior staircase featuring carved petit-four laced treads attests to his and the town’s prosperity during the Victorian era. 
The home is now the Serendipity House, a unique shop treating its guests to room after room of beautiful, one-of-a-kind gift and decor delights.
The Serendipity house is host to the High Tea on the tour from 1pm-4pm. Reservations required, call 770-966-1301. ($20 separate extra charge)
C. Winnie B. Chastain Awtrey House (c. 1880)
This is our second Charm Debut this year, and it’s yet another charming home.
Built in the 1880s, this Victorian house sits across the street from the Old Mill on Southside Drive. It features five fireplaces, an old-fashioned parlor, den and dining area, pristine hardwood floors, 10-foot ceilings, and more.
This two-bedroom, one-story home was owned by Raymond Hill Awtrey, a storeowner, and his wife Winnie Chastain Awtrey. Outliving her husband, Miss Winnie resided in this elegant home from 1927 until her passing in 1967. The Awtrey’s had d4eefcno children, so Miss Winnie mainly lived in the rear of the house, which was the front at the time, for twenty years, and rented out the rest of the house to boarders.
It is believed that the ghost of Miss Winnie still resides there today. Before her passing, Miss Winnie would usually sit in a rocking chair near the rear of the home to pass time. The chair was at the home even after her passing, and years after, it was said that the chair would rock on its own as if Miss Winnie was haunting the house.
D. R.L. McMillan House (c. 1900)
(Carol & Tommy Allegood)
One of the McMillan brother, Robert Lee “Bob” (1866-1947), married Marie Knox of Kentucky, and had six children. Bob was first a chair maker, then a partner in McMillan Brothers (now Wild Blossoms), and later a vice-president and president of the Bank of Acworth  (Dr. Rosenberger‘s old office, next to Henry’s).  He also served as Acworth Mayor and as an Alderman, where he was instrumental in bringing water and electricity to Acworth. 
The Bob McMillan home on Northside Drive was built in the early 1900s with architecture influenced by folk Victorian and Craftsman style as evidenced in the photo below. Six of the original ten acres of property are still intact. The remake of Footloose was partly filmed here.  This home was used for the home of Reverend Moore and Ariel, who is the minister’s daughter. Mayor, Tommy Allegood, and his wife Carol, had to vacate their home during the 18-day shoot. 
Behind the Bob McMillan home sits an older, simpler cottage. According to local lore, a deaf mute named “Chick” lived here. Chick, a freed slave, used her hands to communicate and lived in the cottage until her death. Until recently, the cottage had no electricity or running water. 
1. Abbie Tucker Parks, Albert L. Price, and Shirley Fowler Walker, p. 19.
2. Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, Inc., p. 61.
3. Abbie Tucker Parks, Albert L. Price, and Shirley Fowler Walker, p. 19.
4. Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, Inc., p. 19.
5. Southern Outdoor Cinema
6. Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, Inc., p. 19.
E. McConnell House~Art House (c. 1902)
(Acworth Arts Alliance)
This is our third Charm Debut this year, and we are so excited to have it on the tour!
The McConnell house is thought to have been built in 1902-1903. The original owner, Jeff McConnell, did not have a formal education, but was able to read, write and manage several businesses in the Acworth area. His most successful business was a shoe repair, which started in the basement of the Kitchen & Williams Hardware Store. It was later located in the cellar of his home on Cherokee Street. Jeff McConnell is believed to have been the first African American business owner in Acworth.
The McConnell home stayed in the family until the death of his daughter, Ella McConnell Payton in 1982. A fire swept the front rooms of the house in 1980, and was rebuilt and continued as a residence until a Community Block Grant, organized by the City of Acworth, purchased the house in 2016.
The City of Acworth renovated the house in 2017, making it ADA compliant and a structure sound for commercial purposes. The Acworth Arts Alliance moved into the “Art House” in 2017. Shiplap was found under drywall in some of the rooms.
The Acworth Arts Alliance is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit that focuses on sharing visual arts with the city and surrounding communities. The Art House hosts 6-8 art exhibits annually and offers numerous art classes, workshops and Scholarships to local senior students who go on to further their education in visual art.
F. Carrie Dyer House (c. 1851)
(Linda & Wes Hardwick)
This is our first Charm Debut this year, and what a stellar one it is!
This is a true antebellum home. There are two homes nearby of the same style and architecture. One of the homes is where William Tecumseh Sherman strayed during the Civil War. The six-over-six windows were used in homes from 1830-1860.
Carrie Dyer Home has the distinction of being the second-oldest women’s club in Georgia. The home was used as a community center and hosted lectures, special events and dances, and served as a meeting place for local organizations, such as the Girl Scouts of the USA. The club operated a library in the home until it joined the Cobb County Public Library System in 1963. The new library was constructed a short distance from the house.
This house is an important piece of Acworth history. Thank you to our Mayor Tommy Allegood for seeing that this piece was restored and saved.
G. Original Acworth Jail (c. 1935)
(Acworth Cultural Arts)
The original Acworth Jail was built in 1935 for $3,000 ($60,346 in current dollars*) with assistance from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration. The new “escape-proof” jail contained six cells and housed the city council room. 
The building was in use as a jail facility until 1995 and still contains the original cells, and is listed as an historical landmark. 
The renovated building later housed the city offices of Downtown Development, Historic Preservation, and Tourism.
The old Jail currently houses the Acworth Cultural Arts Center.
- Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, p. 73.
- Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, p. 73
H. Fowler Family Property
This property was originally the property of Ed and Ozelle Fowler, a very well known and respected family. Not only did they own the land currently where Holbrook Acworth is located and adjacent property, but also owned and ran a service station just across Main Street.
At one point Ozelle opened a ladies apparel shop in one of the buildings that backed up to the tracks across from Henry’s but is now a parking lot. Later the property became the site of Hamner Chevrolet, which later became Day’s Chevrolet which later moved to a larger site on Cobb Parkway.
Holbrook Acworth opened in September 2019, an active adult community featuring 181 apartments and 26 cottages, resort style living for empty nesters. They also named one of their streets, Walker Street, where the cottages are located, after one of the Fowler’s daughters, Shirley Walker and her husband, Harley, “Red” Walker.
I. Honeymoon House (c. 1907)
(Jill & Duncan Dunlop)
The Awtreys, one of Acworth’s earliest families, were well known for social gatherings and merrymaking. 
This large Craftsman bungalow was built on the corner of Dallas Street and Seminole Drive by Lemon Awtrey in 1907 for his bride, Varah Hill. The home contains 13 rooms and 5 bathrooms and features stained glass, decorative shingles and a door with a transom and sidelights. Lemon was a president of the S. Lemon Banking Company, Mayor of Acworth in 1918-19 and served as a long-time Alderman. 
In the late 1930s under the financial pressures of the Great Depression, the Awtrey family was forced to develop their pastureland, and Seminole Drive became Acworth’s first in-town subdivision. Prior to the sale of the land, by lottery, the Awtreys had a grand barbecue on the property. This barbecue tradition continued during the wartime years when families would spontaneously gather on an empty Seminole lot for impromptu picnics and cookouts. 
This home is the longest running home on this years tour, with 5 years of hospitality, and this year it will be featured on our Candlelight Tour and is sponsored by Picnic Market and Mercantile.
1. Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, p. 111.
2. Ibid., p. 22.
3. Ibid., p. 124.
J. Acworth Presbyterian Church (c. 1870)
(Acworth Presbyterian Church Congregation)
Capt. Lemon was one of the founders of Acworth Presbyterian Church. The church was built in 1875 on land donated by James’ brother, Smith Lemon. 
The Acworth Presbyterian Church was established in 1870 as a mission from the Mars Hill Church. Thirty-four members were dispatched to start the Acworth Church, and Mars Hill provided a joint minister until 1956. Smith Lemon donated the property and together with his brother James Lile, supervised the construction of the church building in 1875. 
The Church features stained glass windows, Gothic arches, and intricate brickwork are features of the brick edifice. Many of Acworth’s pioneer families were among the charter members. 
Thirty-four members from Mars Hill were received as charter members. They were: M.J. Abbott, Mrs. F.J. Ansley, J.H. Bate, W.T. Bate, Dr. A. Cotten, Mrs. Elizabeth J. Cotten, Mrs. Hattie Hull, W.H.A. Johnson, J.P. Lawhon, Mrs. J.P. Lawhon, Miss Lula Lawhon, Miss Belle Lemon, J.L. Lemon, Mrs. J.L. Lemon, Miss Jennie Lemon, Jessie, L. Lemon, M.E. Lemon, Margaret E. Lemon, Smith Lemon, Mrs. M.K. Litchfield (known as Mr.s Kansas Williams after her second marriage), H.H. Logan, Mrs. Emily L. Logan, J.E. McEver, Mrs. J.W. McMillan, John L. Nichols, Mrs. Maria L. Nichols, W. J. Palmer, Mrs. W.J. Palmer, Miss Nola Palmer, Miss Eula Palmer, William Prichard, John E. Prichard, J.C. Stancel, and Mrs. L.H. Tanner. 
On November 4, 1883, J.W. McMillan and H.H. Logan were ordained as elders by Rev. A.G. Johnson, the first minister of Acworth Presbyterian Church. 
Acworth Presbyterian Church was used in the 2011 remake of ‘Footloose’ as the Church of Bormont where Dennis Quaid’s character, Reverend Moore, is the minister. Carol Allegood, homeownter of the R.L McMillan House, also on the tour, is featured as an extra during one of the church scenes, along with Kim Wigington, Headmaster of Brookwood Christian School, one of Acworth Charm’s Hosts. 
1. Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, Inc., p. 61.
3. Rebecca Nash Paden and Joe McTyre. pg. 45
4. Mary Dell Williams, pg. 2
6. Southern Outdoor Cinema
K. Acworth Christian Church (c. 1858)
(Acworth Christian Church Congregation)
This is our final Charm Debut this year and one that so many are excited about!
In 1858, Acworth had been established as a watering stop for the Western and Atlantic Railroad, but would not be incorporated until 1860.
That year, Nathan Smith, an established evangelist, founded the Acworth Christian Church, which originally was located on Mitchell Hill. Smith was one of the first schoolmasters in Acworth, and the first worshipful master of the Acworth Masonic Lodge.
The church thrived until the Civil War, when the building was dismantled and used as shanties for Union soldiers. The church re-established in 1875 at its current location on Northside Drive. Tragedy struck again in 1899, when a fire destroyed the church. Nathan Smith died that same year, so he never got to enjoy the rebuilt church, which opened its doors in 1901.
The church has been a fixture in Acworth ever since, and can be seen from Main Street and the downtown area. The church’s original brick exterior was covered by stucco in the 1980s.
[Unless otherwise cited, all photography courtesy of TCPics]
-Acworth Society for Historic Preservation, Inc. Acworth. Charleston SC, Chicago, Portsmouth NH, San Franscisco: Arcadia, 2003.
-City of Acworth Property Records
-Angela Chao, Old Acworth Jail Memorabilia. Acworth, GA Patch, March 11, 2011. https://patch.com/georgia/acworth/amp/431263 (accessed August 11, 2019)
-Charlotte McClure et al, Acworth, Georgia: from Cherokee County to Suburbia. Acworth. Carrie Dyer Woman’s Club, 1976.
-Rebecca Nash Paden and Joe McTyre. Cobb County. Charleston SC: Arcadia, 2005.
-Wendy Parker, “Sprayberry to Celebrate 65th Anniversary, Hold Gala Fundraiser Saturday.” East Cobb News, April 13, 2018. Accessed May 15, 2020.
-Abbie Tucker Parks, Albert L. Price, and Shirley Fowler Walker. Remembering Acworth: Fact, Fun, and Trivia. City of Acworth, 2010.
-Thomas Allan Scott. Cobb County, Georgia and the Origins of the Suburban South: A Twentieth-Century History. Marietta GA: Cobb Landmarks and Historical Society, Inc, 2003.
-Southern Outdoor Cinema. “‘Footloose’ Starring Julianne Hough, Filmed in Georgia.” Southern Outdoor Cinema, February 14, 2014. (Accessed 08/20/2019)
-Mary Dell Williams. Acworth Presbyterian Church, The First Hundred Years, 1870 – 1970. Acworth GA, 1970